As young as five, Alana drew the world around her. With a desire to win a new bicycle, she entered a national art contest at the age of nine. She rendered the subject, with colored pencils, winning second prize to the first place oil. The sponsor, Kellogg, was impressed by her talent.
Both the analytical and the artistic influenced her life. Freshman year of college, she excelled in life drawing and then graduated with a degree in mathematics. She followed a career in Capital Project Management until retiring in 2008. In 2007, Alana joined a group of Plein Air artists in Ravello, Italy and began to paint in oil. In 2011, Alana completed a month long portrait workshop at the Florence Academy of Art under the instruction of Maureen Hyde. In 2013, the Scottsdale Artist’s School awarded her a scholarship where she completed a portrait workshop with Romel de la Torre. Late summer she attended a portrait workshop under the instruction of Michael Shane Neal.
Starting her art career late has given Alana a sense of urgency and accelerated her artistic development. In a short period, she has entered competitions, received numerous awards, completed commissions, exhibited work and donated artwork for charitable events. Her artwork resides with clients in Italy, Canada and throughout the United States. She offers portrait demonstrations, teaches private lessons and teaches portrait workshops. She is well known for both her portraits and maritime paintings.
Alana’s artwork displays remarkable draftsmanship with the compositions intentionally leading the viewer. She develops harmony with a wide range of values using limited palettes. Color harmony with lost and found edges strengthens her style of romantic realism.
- Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists
- Member of the Portrait Society of America
- Member of the Oil Painters of America
- Member of the American Impressionist Society
- Exhibiting Member of the Charleston Artist Guild
- 2017 Tall Ships Charleston Exhibit, Charleston, SC
- 2016 Piccolo Spoleto Juried Outdoor Art Exhibit, Charleston, SC
- 17th National Exhibit of the American Society of Marine Artists, Children’s Beach
- 2015 Indoor Juried Art Exhibit Piccolo Spoleto, City Gallery, Charleston, SC, Bohicket Dock
- 2015 Piccolo Spoleto Juried Outdoor Art Exhibit, Honorable Mention for the Body of Work
- 2013 October Solo Show at Atrium Art Gallery, Charleston, SC
- 2013 Piccolo Spoleto Juried Outdoor Art Exhibit, Charleston, SC
- 2013 Magnolia Plantation National Competition, Second Prize, The Pasture Magnolia Plantation
- 2012 Piccolo Spoleto Juried Outdoor Art Exhibit, Charleston, SC
- 2012 Portrait Society of America, Members Only, Landscape Category, Honorable Mention, Winter Wait
- 2011 Piccolo Spoleto Juried Outdoor Art Exhibit, Honorable Mention for the Body of Work
- 2011 Charleston Artist Guild Member Show, Honorable Mention, First Fountain
- 2010 First Federal People’s Choice Honorable Mention, Reflection
- 2010 Charleston Artist Guild Signature Show, Honorable Mentions, Ray of Rosebank Farms
- 2009 Community of I’On Artists Spring Show, Honorable Mention, Lady May’s Gift
- 2009 Magnolia Plantation Competition, First Prize, Lady May’s Gift